|Co-operative Retail Premises Locations|
|Retail Premises 1911 (built 1897)|
On November 11th, 1871, a meeting was held in Cramlington. It was decided that a branch was needed in Burradon. John Fryer offered the Fryer's Terrace premises at £40 per annum rental, and after a deputation had been sent out to view the shop, the offer was accepted. The "Co-op store" was opened on June 8th, 1872. Unlike most other branch openings this was rather spectacular; a large marquee was hired for tea and a band was engaged for a ball in the evening. A "Newcastle Chronicle" reporter noted in October 1872, how a display of lit paraffin lamps in the window looked very inviting on a winter's night. A few members, who disapproved of the Society's methods, broke away to fund a store nearby, but it was short lived. William Waldie (Fryer's son-in-law ) was made the first manager. A butchery business was also run from this shop. The Co-operative made an offer to Fryer, in 1876, to purchase the freehold shop for £650; he delayed his answer, but by this time a severe economic depression was affecting the country; sales had fallen and the Society considered the possibility of closing the shop; this they did in 1880.
|Fryer's Terrace in 1911 (built 1861)|
Cramlington was still supplying Burradon by a cart, but this was found to be impracticable and expensive. A meeting was held, in February, 1881, and it was decided once again to find another store. They were a long time in finding suitable premises but eventually the trustees of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, just south of the school, were offered £220. The second Burradon Co-operative was opened on November 22nd, 1883. An extra storey was added to this building to cater for the drapery business. Trade was at first fluctuating, but then steadily improved.
|Former Primitive Methodist Chapel and Co-op on Burradon Road|