Burradon Articles

The history of Burradon and Camperdown is a tale of two half's.

A small settlement had been established here by the 13th century. The roughly 540 acres of land that Burradon occupied were divided equally between the Ogle and Widdrington families who sub-let to various tenants as their residences were elsewhere in Northumberland. The fortunes of Burradon fluctuated especially during the period of Border warfare and reiving in the 14th-15th centuries. By the mid-16th century Burradonhad recovered and was at its greatest extent in terms of population size. The Ogle family then proceeded to buy out most of the other landholders. By the early 16th century they solely held the estate and started the process of enclosing the fields, making a modern farm settlement. A small tower house was built here in the 16th century and was occupied by the Ogle landholders.

The farm site continues to this day. However, in 1820 a coal mine was sunk about half-a-mile away from the old medieval village centre, leaving this as an isolated farmstead. The mine and the associated housing became what is now regarded as the centre of modern-day Burradon. The housing and amenities was also to spread out into the neighbouring area of Camperdown, which was in a different parish to Burradon.

It was a fairly typical pit village, but a colliery disaster in 1860 brought to prominence some exceptional men who would campaign for better conditions for their fellow pitmen and families...

  • Early History

  • Early Modern

  • Early 19th Century

  • 1860 Pit Disaster

  • 1860 -1914

  • 20th Century and Union Banner Project