Monday, 21 March 2016

Burradon and Camperdown 1914

1901 Front Street - looking west

The community of Burradon and Camperdown was by now a large and established colliery settlement. The population in 1901 was 2157 a rise from 1776 in 1891. A further pit was established at Weetslade in 1903, which was linked underground to Burradon Colliery. However, the community still remained rather isolated: the roads were no more than dirt tracks and there was no public transport. The residents did not need to go far afield for supplies and amenities being a self-sufficient and self-contained community. As the following trade directory lists show there was an ample supply of shops, repairers, services of various kinds, churches and pubs.

The records do not show a great amelioration in living conditions from the previous few decades, but some of the public buildings were rebuilt to be much grander and a working men's club was established in 1901. It is noticeable that around 1900 brick was now almost exclusively used as a building material, as opposed to stone pre-1900. At the end of this period the boundary lines between Burradon and Camperdown were moved, the Seaton Burn Wagonway providing the divide between Burradon to the North and Camperdown to the South. This is dealt with more fully in the article on Boundaries and Administration. Hazlerigge, the previous name for Camperdown, was officially dropped in this period.

Ordnance Survey 1914 Perambulation

Ordnance Survey 3rd Edition c1915
Reservoir - Smaller than on the 1894 map to make way for railway sidings which run to the power station
Pit Row - c1820?; a smaller row than on the 1894 map indicating that it was no longer being used for dwellings, but rather store rooms for the colliery
Recreation Ground - In existence by 1894 as a football field. Now expanded
Double Row - 1872; 3 rows of 7 dwellings each; 1872 description: 17-18ft square, one room and an attic, the attics are ceiled and have a fireplace, floor of wood [in the previous colliery rows the floor was only of beaten earth], a washhouse and privy was attached to each house, a high step up to the door for dryness
Strawberry Terrace - first recording; 7 dwellings
North Row - 1872; 27 dwellings; see Double Row for description
Middle Row - 1872; 25 dwellings reduced from 27 to make way for a school extension; see Double Row for description
Mission Chapel - 1894; Church of the Good Shepherd [an Anglican chapel-of-ease]. This map indicates a building to the east of the church which was not present in 1894
Infant School - In existence by 1894; on this map the building has been enlarged from 1894
Office Row - 1860; 1861 30 dwellings; 1871 40 dwellings; for an 1872 description see Burradon Terraces except in Office Row the garret was unceiled
Colliery Manager's House - In existence by 1858; on colliery end of Office Row

Burradon Road N-S

Post Office Row - In existence by 1871, probably 1861; known as Chapel Row in 1871; known as a part of School Row in 1881
Primitive Methodist Chapel - 1860s probably 1861; sold to the co-operative society in 1883
School - 1861; extended in brick 1904
Freeholds [Burradon Road] - In existence by 1871; blocks of housing and commercial properties to the north of the school; Bolton's Buildings was included in these properties
Primitive Methodist Chapel - In existence by 1894 [1890?]
Mechanics Institute - In existence by 1894 [1890?]
Taylors Buildings - In existence by 1894; 4 dwellings
Ivy Terrace - first recording on this map; 14 dwellings and 1 shop
Morris's Buildings - first recording although probably late 1890s; 2 dwellings
Co-op Buildings - 1897
United Methodist Church - 1908

Camperdown NE-SW

Fryer's Terrace - 1861; in 4 blocks of 17 dwellings and a shop
Grey Horse Public House - In existence by 1828; rebuilt c1900
Dixon's Buildings - In existence by 1861; only in 1861 known as Dixon's Buildings 1 dwelling; 1871 1 house; 1881 grocer's shop
Norah Place - In existence by 1841; 1861 2 dwellings; 1871 uninhabited; 1881 5 dwellings indicating a possible rebuilding on this site of the current housing in brick; 1891 known as Wood Buildings 4 occupied dwellings
Camperdown Hotel Public House - In existence by 1855 as Collier Lad
Carr's Buildings - In existence by 1841; 2 dwellings and a shop; known as Carr's Buildings in 1891
Travellers Rest Public House - In existence 1841
Garden Terrace - first recording on this map; replaced Wood's Buildings
Short's Buildings [site of Station Road] - In existence by 1871 5 dwellings and known as Short's Cottages; 1891 6 dwellings
Halfway House Pub - In existence by 1851; a larger building than on the 1894 map
Palmer's Buildings - In existence by 1858; 3 dwellings and a shop
Atkin Street - first recording on this map
Rueben Terrace - first recording on this map; 10 dwellings
Rough's Cottage - In existence by 1858 possibly 1841; 1871 known as Hazlerigg Cottage; 1881 a butcher's shop

Hazlerigg NE-SW

Weetslade Terrace - In existence by 1871; 9 dwellings; 1891 10 dwellings
Lane Row - In existence by 1828; 40 dwellings
West Row - In existence by 1828; 32 dwellings
Smith's Cottages - In existence by 1828 as Chapel Buildings; 1861 2 dwellings; 1881 1 dwelling known as Smith's House
Weslyan Methodist Chapel - 1830

Notable Dates

1896 - The Cramlington and District Co-operative Society purchased land, from Eustace Smith, to erect a purpose built store. This was opened on 17th July 1897, a large tea and entertainment being provided. The building had two floors consisting of a grocery department, shoe sales and repairs, a drapery department and a dance hall. Eustace Smith had purchased a large land holding in Weetslade from the Brandling family at some time between 1842 and 1896.

1897 - Kelly's Directory

Board school (formerly colliery school) mixed; average attendance 372 [previous attendance 1872, 164 pupils]. Thomas Dougal, Master [Also listed 1891]; Mrs Margaret Fryer, Mist.

Anderson, Thomas; Blacksmith [John Anderson 1891; premises north of PM chapel]
Atkinson, John; Watchmaker and Grocer [Fryer's Terrace?]
Bolton, Alexander; Grocer and Draper [Also listed in 1871, to the north of the school]
Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Co. (Jethro Longridge, Manager)
Cramlington and District Co-operative Society Ltd (George Hunter, Secretary)
Dorricott, Jonathon; Beer Retailer [Travellers Rest]
Hardy, Elizabeth (Mrs); Postmistress [Also listed 1891, Weetslade Terrace]
Hardy, James; Joiner and Cartwright [Also listed 1891]
Lambert, Nathanial and Co; Colliery Owners
Morrison, Joseph; Collier Lad P.H.
Robson, John; Quarry Owner [1858 Adam Tate]
Thew, John; Grey Horse P.H.
Thompson, Patrick; Butcher [Also listed 1891, Weetslade Terrace Clough's shop]
Wardle, Michael; Sub-Manager Burradon Colliery
Younger, James; Farmer [Also listed 1891]

1900 Sep - The "Co-op" felt that a butcher's shop was required for their business and Mr Morrison's shop in Camperdown was leased. After only a few weeks this was felt to be inadequate so more land was purchased to the side of the existing store from Eustace Smith. The Co-operative Society had purchased 880 square yards more than was necessary. This land would not be utilized for some time.

1901 Dec - The Burradon and District Working Men's Social Club was opened. A photograph from around this time (see above) shows the Grey Horse to be a smaller building than the present one and also to be of stone construction. Another photo of the Halfway House, probably of the same date, shows it also to have been constructed in stone and be of a simpler design. It is also around this time that the Collier Lad became the Camperdown Inn, which possibly indicates a rebuilding of the pub into the spacious and grand building that still remains today. In the following decade both the Grey Horse and Halfway House would be rebuilt, enlarged and made grander. The owners of these pubs were responding to higher expectations from their customers and the competition they felt from each other.

1903 May 26 - The first coals were drawn from the new colliery at Weetslade [Lizzie Pit]. This pit was connected underground to Burradon Colliery.

1904 - The school was extended to be able to hold 750 pupils. This followed Balfour's education act of 1902 which took education into state control and funding. The extension is clearly visible as it was done in brick as opposed to the stonework of the original school of 1861. Two houses at the end of Middle Row were demolished to make way for the extension. However, two houses were added on to Burradon Terrace in compensation for this. These houses incorporated a proper staircase and upstairs windows.

1904 - Parliamentary Registers

Ownership Voters


John Anderson; Anderson's blds; houses, Andersons Buildings [north of P.M. Chapel on Burradon Road]
Jonathon Dorricott; 3 Ivy Tce; houses, Burradon [1891 publican of Travellers Rest]
Charles Straker; Hexham; land and buildings Burradon Farm, Burradon Colliery, Burradon Quarry
Stephen Taylor; Taylor's blds.; houses, Burradon
Joseph Thompson; Forest Hall; houses, Dodds buildings
Joseph Bolton; Front St. Budn.; cottages, Weetslade Terrace [Shopkeeper]
William Brady; Seghill; houses, Wood's Houses
George Carr; Leeds; houses, Carr's Cottages [Front Street, Camperdown]
John Hardy; Lamesley; houses, Rueben Terrace
William Swanson; Gateshead; houses, four cottages Budn.
John Younger; Burradon Farm; land
James Younger; Burradon Farm; land
Occupation Voters
James Younger; Burradon Farm; land and tenement
Henry Henderson; Hillhead Farm
Buildings (Burradon)

New Row [Strawberry Terrace?], Dorricott's Buildings [Ivy Terrace?], North Row, Farm, Post Office Row, Mean's Buildings, Anderson's Buildings, Office Row, Front Street, Bolton's Buildings, Burradon Terrace, Quality Row [formerly part of Double Row], Pit Row, Taylor's Buildings, Middle Row, Store Buildings, Quarry Cottages, Wilson's Buildings

Buildings (Camperdown)

West Row, Short's Cottages, Weetslade Terrace, Front Row, Carr's Cottages, The Square [Wood's Buildings] Fryer's Terrace, Rueben Terrace, Chapel Cottages, Wood Houses, Wardle's Cottage, Swanson's Cottages/Weetslade Terrace, Pugh's Cottages, Burradon Crossing House

1905 Apr 29 - Rate Book for the relief of the poor in the Parish of Camperdown


Dents Buildings; James Dent; £9.00; 5
Rueben Terrace; John Hardy; £10.00; 9
Hill Head Farm; John C. Straker; £93.10s; 1; Robert Aynsley (farmer)
Camperdown; Pugh White and others; £5.00; 6
Halfway House (Inn); Pugh White; £66.00; 1; John Ferguson (landlord)
House and shop; Pugh White; £12.00; 1; Thomas Fynes (keeper)
Camperdown; Mary Dodgson; £7.00; 20
Travellers Rest; Stephen Taylor; £30.00; 1; John Scott (landlord) [1897 landlord of Halfway House]
Camperdown; Hugh Howard; £4.10s; 2
Camperdown Inn; Hugh Howard; £81.00; 1 [formerly Collier Lad]; Henry Oubridge (landlord)
House and shop; Isabella Morrison; £24.00; 1 [now a bookies on Front Street. 1897 Joseph Morrison was also publican of Collier Lad]
Camperdown; William Brady; £8.10s; 6
House and shop; John Hann; £14.00; 1 [beside Grey Horse]
Grey Horse Inn; W.B. Reed and Co.; £70.00; 1; Margaret Littlefair (landlord)
House and shop; Joseph Latimer; £30.00; 1 [Fryer's Terrace]
Fryers Terrace; John Fryer estate; £5.10s; 8
Fryers Terrace; Joseph Latimer; £10.00; 2
Fryers Terrace; Burradon & Coxlodge coal Co.; £5.10s; 13
House and shop; John Atkinson; £20.00; 1 [1897 Watchmaker and Grocer, Fryer's Terrace]
Weetslade Terrace; Thomas Maddison; £7.10s; 3
Weetslade Terrace; Lewis Lundi; £10.00; 10
Weetslade Terrace; Stephen Taylor; £8.15s; 4
House and shop; Edward Simmon; £18.00; 1
Weetslade Terrace; John Cook; £8.00; 1 [x1897]
Co-op; Cramlington Co-op Society; £124.00; 1
Burradon W.M. Club; Trustees of Club; £90.00; 1
Front Row; Burradon & Coxlodge coal Co.; £5.00; 24
The Square; Burradon & Coxlodge coal Co.; £5.00; 40
West Row; Burradon & Coxlodge coal Co.; £5.00; 16
Wood Houses; Burradon & Coxlodge coal Co.; £5.00; 8
Chapel Cottages; Alexander Bolton; £4.00; 3
Wagonway and siding; Seaton Burn Coal Co.; £126.00
Camperdown; Masters of Balliol College; £18.5s
Stable; John Bruce; £3.00

1906 - Kelly's Directory

Hazlerigge (locally called Camperdown)
Howey, Joseph; Police Constable [Listed 1891 residing at Fryer's Terrace]
Brown, Ralph; Grocer
Charlton, Frances; Shopkeeper
Cross, William; Camperdown Inn
Ferguson, John; Halfway House Inn [Listed in 1905]
Fynes, Thomas; Grocer [Listed in 1905, shop beside Halfway House]
Hann, John; Grocer [Listed in 1905 shop beside Grey Horse]
Morrison, Joseph Burn; Butcher [1905 Isabella Morrison listed as the owner in premises now a bookies on Front Street]
Musgrove, William; Greengrocer
Scott, John; Beer Retailer [Also listed 1905, Travellers Rest]

Average attendance at the school 450 [372 in 1897]
Master, Thomas D. Forster
Mistress, Miss Margaret Fryer

Anderson, Thomas; Blacksmith [John Anderson in 1891, premises north of P.M. chapel]
Atkinson, John; Watchmaker and Grocer
Bolton, Alexander; Grocer and Draper [Also listed 1871]
Longridge, Jethro; Pit Manager [Also listed 1897]
Social Club (Michael Wardle Sec. [Also listed 1897])
Cook, John; Grocer
Culverson, Henry; Bootmaker
Dent, James; Quarry Owner
Hall, Michael; Shopkeeper and Beer Retailer
Hardy, Elizabeth; Postmistress [Also listed 1891 Weetslade Terrace]
Hardy, James; Joiner and Cartwright [Also listed 1891 Weetslade Terrace]
Johnston, James; Butcher [Weetslade Terrace?]
Littlefair, Margaret Ann; Grey Horse Inn [Also listed 1905]
Mason, James; Cycle Repairer
Mechanics Institute (James Littlefair Sec.)
Smith, Ralph W; Sub Manager Colliery
Thompson, John; Smith [site of Burradon Road garage]
Younger, James; Farmer

1908 - A United Methodist chapel was built beside Fryer's Terrace. The United Methodist movement had been born the previous year.

1910 - Kelly's Directory

Ainsley, Robert and sons; Farmer [x1905 Hillhead]
Atkinson, John; Grocer [x1897 Watchmaker and Grocer in Burradon]
Cook, Jane Ann; Shopkeeper [1897 John Cook a grocer in Weetslade Terrace]
Co-operative Store (George Bolton Manager)
Cuthbertson, Henry; Newsagent [lost a leg in a pit accident then had a barber's shop in a hut on the site of the club car park. Became a newsagent working from Norah Place]
Dorricott, Jonathon [Travellers Rest, Listed 1897]
Ferguson, John; Halfway House Inn
Fynes, Emily (Miss); Grocer
Hann, Mary; Grocer [John Hann in 1905 beside Grey Horse]
Hardy, Alfred; Fried Fish Dealer
Johnson, James; Butcher [Also listed 1906]
Knox, Stephen; Hardware Dealer
Littlefair, George; Grey Horse Inn
Morrison, Joseph; Butcher [Also listed 1891]
Parker, William; Camperdown Inn
Taylor, George; Shopkeeper
Wright, Elizabeth; Shopkeeper

Average attendance of School 473
Thomas D Foster, Master
Miss Margaret Fryer, Mistress

Anderson, Thomas; Blacksmith [Also listed 1906. John Anderson in 1891]
Bolton, Alexander; Grocer and Draper [Also listed 1871]
Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Co.
Burradon and District W.M. Social Club (Edwd. Dodd Sec.)
Cook, John; [x1897 Weetslade Road]
Culverson, Henry; Bootmaker [Also listed 1906]
Dent, James; Quarry Owner
Hardy, James; Joiner and Cartwright [Also listed 1891 Weetslade Terrace]
Johnston, James; Butcher [Also listed 1906 Weetslade Terrace]
Littlefair, Margaret Ann; Grey Horse P.H. [x1905]
Osborne, Hugh M.B; Physician and Surgeon
Thompson, John; Smith
Thompson, John James; Cycle Repairer
Wilson, William; Grocer [north end of Ivy Terrace]
Younger, James; Farmer

1911 Sep 04 - An electric water pump was installed and started in Burradon Colliery. The water from the colliery was pumped down a gutter at the side of where the recreation ground now stands towards Burradon Terraces. The Times reported on 12th July:

"An electrification scheme is nearing completion at the Burradon Colliery, Northumberland, belonging to the Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Company (Limited), of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in which the plant, which has been supplied by Messrs. Ernest Scott and Mountain (Limited), includes a three-throw pump, with rams 10in. in diameter and 15in. stroke, arranged to deliver either 270 or 400 gallons a minute, against a head of 900ft. A three-phase slip-ring motor, working at 2,750 volts, 40 cycles, drives the pump through two reductions of gearing. Two pinions and shafts are provided of different sizes to give the required speeds on the crankshaft. The motor drives on to the pinion shafts through a flexible coupling, the pinion shaft being run between two pedestal bearings.

There are also installed two 250-h.p. slip-ring motors, arranged on one cast-iron bedplate, with an intermediate rope pulley mounted between them. Each motor drives through a flexible coupling on to the rope pulley, which is utilized to drive a ventilating fan. The ventilators of the pit will depend on this fan, and therefore the two motors have been provided so that there may always be a spare motor to be put into commission by merely inserting the pins in the flexible coupling. Two motors, each of 100-h.p. capacity, are also used for driving compressors inbye."

1914 Mar 02 - The first steam bus ran from the Camperdown Hotel to the tram interchange at Benton a few miles to the South. The trams ran into Newcastle. Tickets could be purchased from Harry Anderson. It was a multi-function vehicle carrying mostly passengers at weekends and goods during the week.

1915 Apr 15 - A German zeppelin, this being wartime,  flew over the SE of Northumberland including  Burradon, which caused a certain amount of panic.

1915 Nov 06 - The shopkeeper and lay preacher Alex Bolton died. A memorial in his honour was unveiled in the United Methodist Church on March 4th of the following year. This appeared in the Morpeth Herald during 1904 and refers to Lay Preacher and shop owner of Burradon Alexander Bolton. A well-known local character he owned a shop and post office on Burradon Road near the school - now a men's hairdresser. his son Joseph took over the business shortly after this date and was still being listed on trade directories in 1938. He became a business owner after being blacklisted from working in the collieries. He wasn't the only one in the Northern Coal District to follow this course.

Related Articles...